In partnership with; Brighten Up Great Ayton, Great Ayton Parish Council, and local Rotary Groups we are delighted to announce the creation of the Yatton House Community Garden in Great Ayton.
Thanks to funding from the Margaret Mawston Environmental Trust and several local Rotary groups, Yatton House Society are able to move forward with plans for a community garden. The garden will take shape in an old allotment opposite Yatton House, on Guisborough Road. The garden will be managed by Yatton House with support from the Brighten Up Great Ayton group, Great Ayton Parish Council and representatives of local Rotary groups.
The garden will:
• Provide a safe and accessible community garden and space for groups and individuals.
• Provide a space which is fully inclusive by ensuring accessibility and safety are central to the design.
• Bring different sections of the community together.
• Promote awareness of mental health and loneliness.
• Champion environmental impact and climate change through wildlife, biodiversity, and the growing of sustainable organic fresh fruit and vegetables.
• Deliver educational experiences.
To get things going a working party will be held on Tuesday 5th April to tidy up the area ready for work on a shelter, paths and beds to start. There will be a variety of activities taking place from exploring ways to remove nettles, salvaging bits of concrete and metal to discussing what to plant.
A first glimpse of the garden
If you are interested in becoming a regular volunteer or would like to participate in our working party on the 5th April please register your interest using our ‘Neighbourly Page’. Sessions are planned between: 10am – 12 noon and/or 1pm – 3pm. A safety talk will be provided at the beginning of each session and you will need to wear stout boots/shoes and with some gardening gloves. Refreshments will be available during each session.
Local Community Groups and Organisation
If your local Community Group, School, or Organisation would like to be involved or offer support please let us know.